Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pssst, can I interest you in a PS3?

What to do, what to do. Thanks to a fortunate(?) turn of events I ended up with a 60GB PS3 the other day. I'm still trying to decide if I really want it or not.

At $275 the decision to get a Wii was pretty simple to make. Especially since I could sell my GameCube with some old games and make half of that back.

At almost 3 times the price, my decision with the PS3 is a little harder. First of all it's a much larger piece of hardware. Where the Wii has a tiny footprint next to my TV the PS3 would look like the monolith from 2001. Secondly I've never had a Playstation so no old system or games to sell off to try and recoup some of the costs. The biggest drawback is that at present, I'm the only person I know who has one so online gaming with friends will be pretty much non-existant until they start showing up to stores on a regular basis.

So I'm on the fence right now as to whether or not to even open the PS3 box. Do I sell or do I play? On the plus side, it seems to be a pretty amazing machine and a half decent blu-ray player to boot. It also has built in wireless which is the major problem preventing me from picking up a 360. The 360 was my first choice after the Wii, but since I'd have to get a $50 Live account and a $150 wireless adapter (and a $199 HD-DVD drive if I wanted HD movies) the cost of owning a 360 vs the PS3 actually work out in the PS3's favor.

Guess I'll wait till after Christmas to make the final decision. For now the Playstation is on the market for anyone willing to make me a good offer, but if it's still sitting by my desk when I get back from vacation I don't think I could stop myself from cutting that sticker and ripping it open.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here