Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wii Update

My Wii has arrived a day early and as per my agreement with Microplay I purchased two games to go with it (and then a third from Future Shop) but despite a search of almost every electronics store in the Greater Ottawa area I am without a second Wiimote controller so only 1 player games for me for now.

So I picked up Need For Speed: Carbon, Super Monkeyball: Banana Blitz and of course, Zelda. I haven't tried Zelda yet but so far I have to say Wii Sports (comes with the system) is pretty interesting, if for no other reason that to watch Airyck jump around the room swinging the Wiimote wildly trying to hit a fastball. Monkeyball is one of those games that the Wii just excels at. You simply move the controller just like you want the monkey to move and voila, perfect synchronicity. Some of the mini games, of which there are 50, take a bit more time to get used to but like Wii Sports, it's a great way to learn how to handle the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

NFS on the other hand feels a little more forced. After switching from the default configuration to one that utilizes both the Nunchuck and Wiimote I could at least finish a race but it seems a little bit overkill. And having played it just a few days ago on Airycks 360, the difference in graphic detail is plain as day, to say the least. It's still fun but I wonder if it just wouldn't be more so if it just used the Gamecube controller.

The online service leaves a little to be desired as it seems most of it is still not up and running. My guess is they're waiting for more systems to be activated go through the update process before bringing more parts online. Even so, they only have a fraction of the games that were promised available in the Wii Shopping channels. I'm assuming that will change as time goes on. I just hope they begin offering demo downloads like the 360 does. When it comes to console games I'm a big fan of the try before you buy system, and on a system as unique as the Wii that concept has even more value. We'll just have to wait and see.

Overall, a very interesting gaming system and even though the graphics really don't compare with the latest Microsoft or Sony offerings, with games like Wii Sports and Monkeyball which rely more on gameplay than graphics, it should carve out a strong market for itself.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here