Wednesday, March 15, 2006

100,000,000 bottles of beer on the wall ....

I am now 67 hours in to my data recovery of my main hard drive.

Ah the joys of new hardware installation. I installed 2 new 200GB drives last weekend and somehow, in the process of unloading 2 or my older drives, and partitioning the new ones my current 200 was wiped clean. 199.7 GB of data, all gone with only the dreaded "The disk in drive I had not been formatted. Would you like to format it now?" message to greet me.

To add insult to injury, after watching my data recovery program scan the drive for 40+ hours, I went to work, expecting everything to be waiting for me after I came home. Instead all that greeted me when I entered my condo was Foster, in his usual hyper excited mood, and a bunch of digital clocks all blinking various times. From what I can tell, at almost the exact time I was expecting the scan to be completed, my area of town had a minor power outage. Just minor enough to cause all electronics to shut off and reset.

So I'm now 19 and a half hours into scan#2 hoping that by this time tomorrow I can begin the fun process of sorting out the 100,000+ files it's found, since apparently, it can't recover the FAT table to get me my directory structure back.

Things were so much simpler in the days of the 5GB drives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here