Sunday, July 10, 2005

Howard Dean on The Daily Show

I was just watching Thursday's 'The Daily Show' on which DNC Chair Howard Dean appeared (not sure if it was a repeat or not) and have one thing to say (besides mentioning how much I love my PVR). In all honesty it is hard to think of one person in current US politics so full of hate as Howard Dean. (Yet somehow, even though I may think he's an idiot and I totally disagree with his political views, I do not believe that in any way means that he should be compared to Hitler, Stalin, Chairman Mao or even Pol Pot. I'm just funny that way I guess.)

Now let me say that there are definitely people on both sides of the isle that let things go too far every once in a while, but even they can occasionally sit down for a short interview without losing their cool. Dean, on the other hand, while not making any of his now infamous 'Deanisms' was not able to complete almost a single sentence or answer the simplest question without throwing an insult at the Republicans.

If you happen to have it recorded just watch it again and you'll notice that even Jon seems to be trying to guide him to make more positive remarks instead of insult but alas, that seems to be a task worthy of Herculean effort where Dean is involved.

When asked about Democratic policy specifics he managed to somehow accuse Republicans of hating the poor, not knowing what the working class are like and not valuing the militaries sacrifice. What they have to do with Democratic policy I have no idea but when your entire campaign is based on 'We're not Bush' I guess you can't actually get into specifics.

Jon kept hammering him for an actual policy but as far as I could tell the closest he ever came to defining a Democratic policy was to say they are for a balanced budget and health care for everyone. Not one mention as to how to accomplish these goals, but I guess just stating a idealized goal, even if you have no idea what to do to get there, is good enough for some voters; just look up here at Canada.

And Dems wonder why they continue to lose power.

2 Comments:

Blogger BohemianLikeYOU said...

Good piece - when will Dems realize that when everything is an outrage, nothing is an outrage?

Is Dean raising money even?

Although I love to watch them implode, it does make me a little nostalgic for the older Dems you could stomach. Hell, I used to be a Dem!

bohemianlikeyou

July 14, 2005 7:33 p.m.  
Blogger Bic said...

The over the top rhetoric does kind of drown out any good suggestions from their side, not that I can actually think of any right now.

A well functioning democracy requires at least one good opposition party to help act as a opposing viewpoint, when called for. That's all the current brand of Dems seem to think they should be doing, no matter what the topic but sometimes their job should be to support not oppose. The level of animosity is just too high for most Dems to do that, at least in public (just check out KOS or DU the day after any Dem says anything good about a Repub).

From what I've seen on the $$$ front, Dean has managed to raise some cash (about a third of what the Repubicans have raised) but at the same time he's pushed a lot of the big money supporters and fund raisers away.

I have to admit it is kind of fun to watch though.

July 15, 2005 8:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here