Tuesday, May 17, 2005

24

I just had to comment on the writing staff at 24 where the idea of 'beating
a dead horse' does not appear to be going out of style anytime soon.

Exactly how many times do you have to lose key data or suspects in transport
before you consider doubling up on the security detail. Why is it that
every time they go in to retrieve said data/suspect they send the fewest
possible number of agents. I'm sure there are a few cops just sitting
around a donut shop somewhere with nothing to do.

I don't know about you, but after that happens the first time I'd be
considering either taking more agents with me or waiting for backup to
arrive before attempting to move. Of the 24 hours of the show, at least 15
are spent running in circles as vital data is destroyed or important
suspects are killed or escape. The writing is starting to approach soap
opera levels for repetitiveness.

And another note on sloppy writing. The whole premise for this years 24 was
poor from the get go. From the "one ring to rule them all" idea with the
nuclear power plants (unlike Canada, I believe each US nuclear power plant
has it's own design and would be very difficult to centrally control), to
the nuclear 'football' having all the arming codes and locations for every
warhead in the US arsenal. From what I've read, the 'football' contains the
codes the President needs to authorize a nuclear attack, not the actual
arming codes (in addition to several instruction manuals on various
subjects). If it did in fact have the actual arming codes I would hope it
had more security measures than a simple combination lock; at least a little
encryption of the codes.

While I enjoy watching Jack find new ways to torture a suspect as much as
the next guy, that is another device that needs to be less used. It's
starting to get a bit monotonous.

That all being said, I do like the way they brought back Palmer and
regardless of all it's faults I'll definitely be watching the final 2 hours.
I'm just hoping they spend more than 24 hours writing next years script.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here